BLOGSPOT atas

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Harnessing the Hacker Mindset


​Harnessing the Hacker Mindset

Editor's note: Keren Elazari, cybersecurity analyst, author and researcher, will give the closing keynote address at CSX Europe 2018, to take place 29-31 October in London, UK. Elazari recently visited with ISACA Now to discuss the hacking "ethos," whether data privacy should be considered a right or a privilege, and more. The following is a transcript, edited for length and clarity.

ISACA Now: What prompted you to take an interest in cybersecurity research and analysis?
In one word: Curiosity. Always asking more questions, always poking fingers into things I don't understand – I believe that is the quintessential hacker mindset and that is what has always defined who I am. Even as a child, I was always really interested in technology and curious about how things worked. I would break things, take them apart, crawl under the table to disconnect the cables and see what would happen if I put them somewhere else.

An important milestone for me was the movie "Hackers" that came out in 1995. I always talk about this movie as my inspiration, because it really gave me a context for hacking: hacking as a calling, a life choice. It showed me a hacker could be a hero of a story, and that hero could be a high school girl just like me! In the movie, it's Angelina Jolie, pretty much the coolest person in the world from my point of view. Everything was exactly right for me in that cultural moment; it was exactly what I needed to see and hear to understand it was my calling. That's why I am proud to call myself a hacker. My idea of a hacker is perhaps, somewhat romantic, but I consider the friendly and ethical hackers out there in the world as a vital part of culture, society and the economy, pushing forward the evolution of technology and acting as a much needed "immune system" for the information age.

I wear many professional hats: strategic advisor, business analyst, academic researcher and author. I've worked as a security architect, risk management consultant and product manager; yet in any role and organization, I've always held that hacker–hero ethos at heart.

ISACA Now: In what areas must the cybersecurity workforce make the most strides if organizations are going to be equipped to deal with the evolving threat landscape? 
Despite widespread automation of technology and defensive security solutions, I do believe there always will be room for humans in the equation. As AI, big data, algorithms, automation, machine learning, and adaptable technology become more prevalent, 70-80% of cybersecurity tasks will be automated and drilled down to a science. That means defenders must become more like data scientists and feel at ease with managing and utilizing such tools and leveraging them to gain a better understanding of threats and the security posture of organizations...

https://www.isaca.org/Knowledge-Center/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=1039

===

by Idham Azhari

No comments: